FOCUS ON Teflon Adhesive Tape Solutions26.08.2021
Teflon™ (also called Polytetrafluoroethylene) was discovered in 1938 by Roy J. Plunkett at DuPont. Plunkett discovered Teflon™ by accident while working with alternative refrigerant gases. He filled tetrafluoroethylene (TFE) into small cylinders where the gas was frozen and compressed.
When he opened the cylinders, no gas came out. Instead, the inside of the cylinders was covered with a waxy white slippery material, which became known as Polytetrafluoroethylene – PTFE, later Teflon™.
This newly discovered substance had excellent properties, mainly:
- good chemical resistance
- good resistance to high and low temperatures
- low water absorption capacity
- anti-adhesion ability
Thanks to these properties, Teflon™ has found application in various industries. Its best-known uses in practice include corrosion protection in the manufacture of an atomic bomb, use as a space flight material, and a protective surface for pots and pans.
PPI Adhesive Products ltd brings you a wide range of tear-resistant Teflon™-based and Teflon™ coated glass cloth tapes that are noted for their excellent chemical and high-temperature resistance. These tapes can be used for different purposes like protective covering, coating, etc.
Teflon™ based tapes Properties and their Applications in various industries
Low friction surface property:
- non-stick protective covering for rollers, cylinders, plates, belts for polyethylene extrusions, hotmelt coating, and lamination processes
- easy release protective covering for plastic welding equipment
- widely used in packaging applications to provide a low friction surface on transport guide rails
High-temperature resistance and long therm age resistance:
- high-temperature insulation for coils, transformers, and motors
- high-temperature ground insulation
- wire harness wrapping
- cable harnessing at high temperatures
- interphase insulation
High chemical resistance:
- hotmelt coating and lamination processes
- wrapping irregular shapes
Working closely with our R&D Department, we can provide innovative, bespoke solutions based on your ideas and specifications. Teflon™ based tapes are available in the form of laminates, rolls, or die-cuts.
(trademark of E.I. DuPont de Nemours)